0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM – how to fix
Error code 0x00000024 can occur due to many reasons.
Gererally, it indicates that the ntfs.sys system file, which is responsible for reading and writing data from the NTFS disks, is damaged.
The main reasons of Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) due to the 0x00000024 error are:
- System errors.
- Failed hard drive or damaged SATA cable.
- Compatibility issues of some utilities with the installed operating system or current PC configuration.
- Damaged hard drive drivers.
- RAM failure.
If your PC crashes with the error immediately after launching Windows, try booting in a safe mode.
To do this, you need to start the reboot, press the "F8" button, and select “start OS in the safe mode.”
How to fix 0x00000024 error
- The simplest thing to try in case of 0x00000024 error is
to launch any antivirus software installed on your PC to see whether the PC is infected with viruses.
- If you recently have installed some new software on your PC, you may suspect that the software is causing the 0x00000024 error.
In this case, you need to uninstall the software and see wether this solves the problem.
Incompatible utilities are often defragmenters, antivirus scanners, and backup software.
- Also, BSOD with the NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error message may point to the failed PC memory.
In fact, this is a common practice when the installed memory sticks are incompatible with the rest of the hardware components or with each other.
Microsoft offers free utility for RAM diagnostic. Starting with Windows Vista the RAM check utility is built-in.
For earlier Windows versions, you can download and use this software.
RAM check utilities are quite simple and don't require any actions on your side.
However, note that the analysis is quite slow. Read more information on how to test memory here.
If you have several memory slots on your PC, you need to check each one individually.
- If doing all the above you still cannot fix the 0x00000024 error, you have to suspect the damaged system files.
To fix system errors, the built-in CHKDSK utility is used, but we do not recommend using it if the data stored on the disk is important because CHDSK
does modify data on the storage.
- And the last one to suspect as the cause of the 0x00000024 error is the hard drive itself. First, check the drive cable.
Try to plug the drive into another SATA port and use another known-good connection cable.
Next, try to check the health of the hard drive using one of the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tools like HDSentinel.
If you see that there are problems with the disk health, immediately copy the data to another storage device and replace the disk with a new one.
If you can’t access your data, but the disk is still visible in Disk Management, you can try using special data recovery software,
like ReclaiMe File Recovery to extract files and folders.
How to recover data in case of 0x00000024 error
- Download and install ReclaiMe File Recovery.
- Select the device in the list of available devices and click Start.
- Wait until the software completes the scan.
- Check the recovery quality using the Preview function.
- Prepare the device to which you are going to copy the recovered data, say an external drive, and connect it to the PC.
- Purchase a license key, activate the software, and start copying.
As soon as your data is copied to a safe location you can replace the disk with a new one.
Still have questions?