"Access Denied" error in Windows XP
If you get the Access Denied message when opening the file or folder,
even though you are the administrator of the Windows XP computer,
then most likely you need to reset the file or folder permissions.
Note that access permissions are only available on NTFS. There are no permissions on FAT or exFAT.
This situation may occur when:
- You transfer the files from a different computer, or a different Windows installation, and the files have custom permissions configured.
- You back up the files, reinstall Windows, and try to access the files afterwards.
This is what the Access Denied error looks like
How to fix Access Denied error
To fix Access Denied error you need to
Enabling the Security tab
The default settings in Windows XP do not allow you to configure security settings explicitly.
You get "Simple File Sharing" with a few preset configurations instead.
So you need to turn the Security tab on.
- Open Windows Explorer;
- On the Tools menu, select Folder Options.
This gives you a "Folder Options" window. In there
Getting to the permission editor
- Switch to the View tab;
- Uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended) under Advanced Settings;
- Click OK to close "Folder Options".
- Right click the folder you need to reset permissions for;
- From the dropdown menu, select Properties.
- Switch to the Security tab.
You may get a warning message stating "You do not have permission to view or edit...", just click OK.
- Click Advanced to open "Advanced Security Settings".
- Switch to the Owner tab;
- Select "Administrators" under Change owner to;
- Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects;
- Click OK.
Depending on the exact situation, you may or may not get the "Do you want to replace the permissions?" prompt similar to the screenshot below.
Click Yes and the permissions will be reset.
All the steps on video
Access Denied error in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Administrators do not get the Access Denied error in Windows Vista or Windows 7.
Instead, there is a convenient prompt along the lines of "Click Continue to get access", and all the above sequence is performed automatically.
Still have questions?